Not many people have “perfect” teeth. Not many of the Insta-famous celebrities with seemingly perfect teeth started out the way, either! If your teeth don’t live up to your expectations – whether you’re famous or not – how can you get the perfect teeth you want? Ask a dentist near you about getting porcelain veneers in NE Calgary.
Stained, chipped, misshapen, oddly spaced and crooked teeth can last a lifetime. Unless you do something about them, that is. At Temple Dental Wellness, we can provide a broad range of products and services to transform the appearance of your teeth — including providing dental veneers near you. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that, when placed over a professionally prepared tooth, hide the flaws that undermine the appearance of your teeth while displaying the perfect profile of a pristinely pearly-white tooth. Porcelain veneers don’t last a lifetime, but they can last for well over a decade. Here’s what you need to know about the lifespan of porcelain veneers and how to stretch that lifespan as far as possible.
As long as you take care of your teeth and veneers properly, you can expect them to last for up to 15 or even 20 years. Just how long your veneers will last depends on a number of factors. The most important one is the experience and expertise of your dentist and the work the dentist and their staff do to prepare your tooth. When choosing a dentist to take care of the health and appearance of your teeth, ensure your dentist has experience with exactly the procedures you’re going to undergo.
What is the process of getting veneers?
Your dentist in NE Calgary will assess and measure your teeth precisely to prepare as many veneers as you need to achieve your cosmetic goals. That veneer will fit seamlessly over the top of your tooth and project a perfect and perfectly natural tooth without anyone knowing you’re wearing veneers. Your dentist will guide you through a careful process of choosing the appropriate shape and colour to achieve your goals and blend naturally with your other teeth, and with the rest of your face. At this first session, a dentist near you will also remove some enamel from the teeth to be covered so that the veneers will fit onto them without adding any bulk or protrusions.
At the second step of porcelain veneers treatment near you, your dentist will ensure that your veneers fit perfectly and achieve the goals you discussed with your dentist at your first appointment. Once that has been confirmed, the dentist will bond the veneers securely to your teeth. As long as you care for the underlying tooth carefully and take reasonable precautions to protect those veneers, they’ll remain in place and project your perfect smile for over a decade.
How can you prolong the lifespan of your veneers?
There are some simple things that you can do to extend the life of veneers (assuming the underlying tooth was prepared properly and the veneer itself was bonded to that tooth effectively). Here are six tips for preserving and extending the lifespan of dental veneers in NE Calgary:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily and floss at least once daily
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can discolour your stain-resistant (not stain-proof) dental veneers near you and increase the risk of gum disease.
- Avoid foods and beverages that can stain your stain-resistant (not stain-proof) veneers, or brush your teeth thoroughly whenever you consume red wine, coffee, tea, tomato and soy-based sauces, and other pigment-rich foods and drinks
- When you need scissors, wrenches and pliers, use scissors, wrenches and pliers — not your teeth
- If you suffer from sleep or waking bruxism (clenching your jaw and grinding your teeth), wear a nightguard to protect your veneers, other dental work and your teeth and jaw
- Attend dental checkups at least every six months so your dentist can confirm the health of your gums and underlying teeth
To find out if dental veneers are right for you or how much life is left in your existing veneers, make an appointment with a dentist near you.